This is a Key Topic, with high value for all users.
On the Claim form, you can manage custom claims of types other than Demurrage, such as cargo damage claims, missed laycan claims, and pollution claims.
Creating a Claim
To create a Claim, do one of the following:
- In the Demurrage and Claims module center , under Quick Links, click Claim.
- On the Claim List, click .
- For an FOB Cargo, click the Claim button on the FOB/Delivered Cargo form.
- Select the Counterparty and enter at least the Date Sent/Received.
The Counterparty determines the default transaction type (AP or AR), although it can be changed.
Owner = AP: You have a contract with the owner to use the vessel, and if demurrage is incurred, you will have to pay the owner.
Charterer or Receiver = AR: You will be billing this to them to recoup the cost paid to the owner.
- When a Claim is an AP, you can select a Rebill Option. Rebillable invoices appear in the Create Invoices list and on the Voyage Expenses Rebill Management form.
- When a Rebill Claim is created for an internal counterparty:
- Claim Status is Settled by default.
- Analyst field is copied from the AP (Rebill) claim; if there are multiple AP (Rebill) invoices, the Analyst field is left empty in the resulting Rebill Claim.
- Agreed Amount is set equal to the Original Claim Amount.
- Date Settled is the date the rebill is created.
- CP Reference: Select a contract type or Stand Alone. For Claims associated with a contract:
- Reference No.: Select a Voyage Fixture, TC In, TC Out, Service Contract, FOB Cargo, Cargo, or VC In ID.
- Port: Select from ports in the contract itinerary.
Currency: Defaults according to these rules:
Claim CP Reference Default Claim Currency Fixture Currency of Fixture Company TC In, TC Out Currency of TC Service, Stand Alone Existing Default Cargo, FOB Cargo, VC In Currency of the Contract
- In the Out of Pocket field, you can enter a claim amount withheld from freight. This field is for reference only and does not impact any other fields in IMOS.
- Follow-Up Date is used to alert analysts when follow-up is required. Field will be automatically populated with today's date plus Follow-Up days, as defined in the Claim Actions form. If there is no days defined, today's date will be used.
- In the Claim Action Log, you can click to add a line at the top and select Claim Actions that describe the actions taken.
- To begin processing the claim, change the Claim Status to In Progress.
- When you save the Claim, a Claim ID is assigned. Claims are numbered according to the following scheme:
For example: CL-2013-000001
On the Invoices tab, you can create multiple Claim Invoices for a Claim. You can also add links to Related Invoices, for example, if there are expenses for processing the claim, and to Related Claims.
- To create standalone invoices for brokers whose Claim Commissions are set to be invoiced separately, click .
When enabled, users can create Claims for Cargoes of any status, regardless of whether or not the Cargo has been scheduled. If this Cargo is scheduled later, invoices linked to this Claim will not be linked to the voyage.
When enabled, Insurance Status and Submission Date appear as fields on the Claim form and columns in the Claim List.