The Trading P&L Summary is the main dashboard for most Trading users, forming the core of the Trading module. It is a summary of the overall paper and physical positions and displays all types of contracts: Bunker Swap, FFA, Cargo, Cargo Option, Cargo COA, Cargo COA Option, VC In, VC In Option, VC In COA, VC In COA Option, TC In, TC In Option, TC In Min/Max, TC Out, TC Out Option, and TC Out Min/Max. It gives you a way to mark-to-market each of the positions in your portfolio against the price curve.
To access the Trading P&L Summary, do one of the following:
- Vessel Type
- Trade Area
- Index and data for each Period
Applying Filters and Groupings
The Parameters panel enables you to apply filters and groupings to the Trading P&L Summary.
It is open by default. To close or open the panel, click .
- Calculation Options:
- Reference Date: The Trading P&L Summary includes data from this date forward.
- Profile (editable for Current snapshots only): Select a Trading Profile to determine the Exposure settings and configurations.
- Snapshot: Select Current for the most up-to-date data with recalculated values, or retrieve a Snapshot from the past two months that includes values as they were calculated based on the Profile selected at the time the snapshot was taken. For more details on Snapshots, see Trading P&L Snapshots.
- Display Options:
- Filter: Select a Filter.
- Period: Monthly, Quarterly, or Annually. This sets the size of the time buckets in which the Trading P&L Summary aggregates contracts and related values.
- Groupings: Select up to three to group together: Contract, Counterparty, Parent Contract, LOB, Short/Long, Strategy, Trade Area, Vessel, Vessel Type, and Vessel Fleet.
Contract Types are Bunker Swap, Physical Bunker Liftings, Cargo COA, Cargo COA Option, Cargo, Cargo Option, FFA, Own Vessel, TC In, TC In Min/Max, TC In Option, TC Out, TC Out Min/Max, TC Out Option, VC In, VC In Option, VC In COA, and VC In COA Option.
- Show: Click to expand this section and then select check boxes.
- Exposure Days: Number of exposure days for the Period.
- Weighted Days: Adjusted, based on:
Exposure Tons: Exposure in tonnage, either the cargo or vessel size.How Are Exposure Tons Calculated for TCI?
- Exposure tons are calculated using the following:
- TC Vessel Deadweight
- Region Turnover Ratio (The number of voyages in the region that the ship could be expected to perform over a month; defaults to 1, but can be defined in Trade Areas).
- TC days in the period
- Example calculation:
- 30K MT DWT ship is TCed in for 15 days in a month of 30 days into SE Asia, where 2 voyages are expected to be done in 30 days
- 30K MT * (15 days TC/30 days in month) * 2 voyages/mo = 30K MT exposure tons
- Exposure tons are calculated using the following:
- Bunker Tons: Exposure to the bunker market, in tonnage. For bunker contracts, this is the contract quantity. For freight contracts, it is the estimated or projected quantity.
- Bunker Exposure: The unrealized P&L that relates to the exposure on the Bunker Market.
- TC Exposure: The unrealized P&L that relates to the exposure on the Freight Market.
- Net Exposure: The sum of Bunker Exposure and TC Exposure.
- TCE: The TCE of the contract, calculated using the Exposure Days and the market prices.
- Long TCE: The weighted average of TCE, with the Exposure Days for only the Long positions.
- Short TCE: The weighted average of TCE, with the Exposure Days for only the Short positions.
- Contract TCE: The TCE, either the contract TC rate or the calculated TCE using estimated or projected bunker prices from the contract. This is in contrast to the TCE value, where the calculation is done using the market bunker rates.
- Exposure Count: The number of contracts that have exposure in this period. Next to the count, click the Details link to open the Trade Details List.
- Fixed: The estimated Voyage P&L for contracts with Fixed status. Exposure is locked in.
- Sailed: The (estimated) actual Voyage P&L for contracts with Sailed status. Exposure is locked in.
- Unrealized P&L: The amount that has not been settled.
- Realized P&L: The amount that has been settled.
- Net P&L: The sum of Net Exposure plus Fixed and Sailed amounts.
- Net Count: The number of unsettled contracts for this period. Next to the count, click the Details link to open the Trade Details list.
After changing parameters, click Apply Changes.
Trading P&L Summary Report
To export the current view of the Trading P&L Summary as a report, in the upper-right corner, click .
Note: An asterisk will appear for periods in the Trading P&L Summary on this report if market data is missing for the associated symbol and period.
|Enable Bunker Basis Exposure
When enabled, the system tracks a new element in the bunker exposure calculations to show the basis risk associated with physical contracts in the Trading & Risk Module. This basis risk will be calculated using the port details from the physical contracts and voyages and the basis curve pricing that will feed into the system separately.
When enabled along with the Include TC Bunker ROB Exposure trading profile flag, the system tracks a new element to the bunker exposure calculations to show the basis risk associated with TC Bunker ROB Exposures.
|Trading Calc Low Memory Mode
When enabled, trading calculation will use less memory so as not to exceed the memory limit for Windows.
In addition, the Trading P&L Summary will no longer immediately load the list upon opening. Instead, it will load a blank version of the list so that users may edit filters or snapshot information. The list will load upon refresh.
|Enable Trading Net P&L Fields
|M2M Future Physical Bunkers
|When enabled, users can set a Bunker Purchase as a future purchase and add in bunker market symbols to the fuel types. These are included so that the purchase can be tracked on the Trading P&L and included in exposure.