A Bunker Swap or CALL or PUT option is like an FFA/Option Trade except that it references a different market.
Bunker Swap contracts are valued against the quoted forward rates for the bunker symbol underlying the trade. Bunker Swap Options are not being automatically valued against the underlying routes. Instead, you can create a Market for Bunker Options in which the Option Symbols can be quoted. Each Bunker Swap Option contract will have a unique Option Symbol automatically generated. On the Market Data form, the quoted values of the trades can be recorded for each Option Symbol.
Bunker Swap/Option List
The Bunker Swap/Option List includes all Bunker Swap/Option Trades that you have the right to view.
On the Trading menu , under Trades, next to Bunker Swap/Option, click List.
You can select multiple Bunker Swaps and confirm them at once by clicking the Confirm trade(s) link.
Bunker Swap/Option Trade
To view an existing Bunker Swap/Option Trade, on the Bunker Swap/Option List, click its row or Trade ID link.
To create a new Bunker Swap/Option Trade, do one of the following:
On the Bunker Swap/Option List, click +.
- On the Trading menu , under Trades, click Bunker Swap/Option.
As with any other details view, you can navigate to a different record by clicking its card or return to the list by clicking its Name.
You can use tools on the toolbar to create, find, save, copy, or delete records.
- To copy a Bunker Swap-Option, click . Enter the number of copies and then click Create. Edit line items for the copies as needed and then click OK.
The Bunker Swap/Option Trade form is the same as an FFA/Option Trade except:
- The Index is always Bunker Symbol and, instead of a Route, you select the Symbol.
- You can enter either the Volume/Month or Total Volume; the other value is calculated.
- The Settlement Rate is taken from the Bunker Market Rate.
Enter contract details.
- Pending: The trade has been created. Contracts with a Pending status show as position in the Trading P&L Summary.
- Opportunity: The trade can be included in the Trading Sensitivity Analysis to see how the P&L will look with this trade added.
- Confirmed: Contracts with a Confirmed status appear in the Trading P&L Summary.
Note: The Broker Confirmation Number is required to confirm a trade; it changes the Status to Confirmed. Someone with the Broker Confirmation Module Right selected in Security must enter the Broker Confirmation Number to confirm the trade and save it. Only paper trades that are confirmed can be settled for matured periods.
- Partially Settled: The trade is partially settled.
- Settled: The trade is fully settled.
- Reference: To edit this field, you must have the Reference Module Right selected in Security, under Trading.
- Settlement: For Period Average:
- The period must be less than or equal to one month.
- The settlement rate will be the forward rate for the month until the period is realized; then the settlement is the average of all spot rates in the period.
- Early settlement is not allowed, since the true settlement rate is not available until the period is fully realized.
- When using Realize Paper Trade Days Through the Month, the unrealized portion of the trade will use the forward rate for the month, and the realized portion will use an average of the spot rates in the realized period.
The grid on the bottom of the form populates with the Periods, the Market Rates, the Date that the Market Rate is from (Source), and the P&L (Exposure).
When you first enter a trade, periods in the future appear on the Exposure tab.
After a particular period of the trade has matured and the settlement rate has become available, that period moves to the Settlement tab.
The Trade must be refreshed for the periods to appear on the correct tab. To refresh, close the trade and reopen it.
These conditions both need to be fulfilled for this to happen:
- The period must have matured, that is, the month must be in the past, relative to the system date.
- The Settlement rate must be available; the Price field (Entire Month, Last 7 days, Last 10 days) on the Market Data form for a day during the trade's Settlement month must be available.
If Entire Month is selected Entire Month values need to be imported into VIP. If the Entire Month value for the route is not in VIP the status of the trade will not be able to be set to realized.
Monthly information appears on the Months tab.
Linked Trades Tab
Note: Configuration flags CFGLinkedTradeTypes must be enabled.
The grid at the top of the tab enables you to capture any paper trades that the contract is using to hedge. The Contracts grid enables you to capture any trades that are using this contract as a hedge.
Example: If you have an FFA trade, and there is bunker exposure associated with the calculation that you would want to hedge, then you would use the top grid and select a Bunker Swap. If you have a Cargo contract that has freight exposure and you want to hedge to an FFA, then this Cargo contract would show up in the Contracts grid of that FFA.
On either grid, you can:
- Add New Row: To add a linked trade, add a new row and then enter the trade information.
- Right-click a line item and then click:
- See Trade Details: Opens the trade details
- Insert: Inserts a row for a new linked trade
- Delete: Deletes the link to the trade
Linked Bunker Swaps
You can link Bunker Swaps to voyages to show the gain or loss when a Bunker Swap is used to hedge against bunker exposure of contracts. You can link a Bunker Swap to a Cargo or a Time Charter Out at any point during the contract, before or after scheduling it. To open the linked contract, right-click a line on the Exposure or Settlement tab and click See Linked Contract.
|FFA Default Counterparty|
Defaults the Counterparty field when a value is entered in the Clearing House field.
|Enable Calculated Routes in Paper Trades|
Enables the selection of calculated routes and symbols for paper trades.
|Selects the default market used for pricing of bunker swaps.|
|Link Paper to Paper||When enabled, the Linked Trades grid will be visible in the Paper Trade form and users are able to link two paper trades contracts together.|
Linked Trade Types
|Specifies the type(s) of paper trade that can be linked on physical trades. Possible values are FFA, Bunker Swap, CALL Option, and PUT Option. Types should be comma separated.|